[Labs-l] Labs restart & mysql connections dropping?

Russell Blau russblau at imapmail.org
Sun Feb 15 15:25:45 UTC 2015

Sean Pringle <springle <at> wikimedia.org> writes:

> Which recent restart?  The GHOST restarts in late January, or the labsdb
restarts last week? Something else?

> What error codes and messages are you seeing client side?
>
> Is there any pattern? Eg, time of day, specific queries, etc
> What lead you to look at the problem? Is it definite that connections
started dropping at a known point in time?

I can give you some answers for a different project. Tool Labs project
'dplbot' has a database job that runs twice a day. Starting after 18:00
UTC on 8 Feb 2015, a particular PHP script that involves a lot of writes
to a project database (p50380g50692__DPL_p) on enwiki.labsdb started to
fail consistently with the error message "MySQL server has gone away." The
script had not changed, and this error had not occurred before this time,
but it now occurs every time we attempt to run this particular script.

Russ