[Labs-l] Query takes forever on labsdb

Huji Lee huji.huji at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 19:38:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

When I run this query <http://quarry.wmflabs.org/query/3760> using Quarry I
get a result in less than one minute. When I run that on tools via the
mysql command line, it never finishes.

It is interesting because many other queries that I run on labsdb via
command line work fine. Only this query is slow. It was suggested on the
IRC that this could be due to caching issues. I waited for 24 hours and
repeated the experiment and same results occurred.

I also thought maybe the instance of labsdb that I access via "become huji"
is faulty. So I created a job for it and run it via jsub, but that job has
also been stalling for close to half an hour now.

Since this is not a particularly complex query (simply a join of three
tables) and this exact query used to run very quickly on labsdb before.

Any advice on how to resolve the issue is appreciated.

Thanks,

Huji