[Labs-l] wm-bot service script

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:48:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

This is mail for all wm-bot operators, I don't even remember who all
have access to it, so I send this to all of labs.

I updated documentation of wm-bot on wikitech:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Bots/Documentation/wm-bot

Lot of you complained how hard is it to start and stop the bot... I am
still working on it, but these two commands should now work:

sudo service wm-bot stop # will stop wm-bot entirely - it will
disconnect all 5 instances from freenode
sudo service wm-bot start # will start wm-bot entirely - all bouncers and core

This should make it far more simple to bring bot back in case anything
happened, also please bear in mind that as long as its processes are
running it will attempt to reconnect to freenode indefinitely, so if
it just disconnected, it might recover itself.

Self apply for lost nickname etc. It will try to fix itself as long as
it's running, so these commands are only if nothing else helps or if
the machine was rebooted.

I would eventually add this script to RC levels so that bot would
start even when reboot happens, but it needs some more tweaks I guess
as there is a number of dependencies.

Let me know if anything wasn't clear in that documentation