[Labs-l] Trusty now available in Tool Labs

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Oct 14 21:59:48 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I've now made a Trusty (Ubuntu 14.04) grid node available, as well as a
Trusty bastion.

The latter can be accessed by ssh via trusty.tools.wmflabs.org

To send a job to a Trusty node, you need to request resource
"release=trusty"; this can be accomplished by adding "-l release=trusty"
to qsub or jsub invocation.  Note that, by default, "release=precise" is
requested -- even from the trusty bastion.

At some point in the future, the default may switch to "release=trusty"
so I would recommend that if your code relies on a specific release,
that you always specify it explicitly.

There is only a single Trusty node at the moment, so it will probably
reach capacity relatively quickly; as the number of tools requesting
trusty increases, I'll add more nodes and start reducing the number of
precise ones.

That said, I plan on keeping at least some precise instances around at
least until it is no longer supported.

-- Marc