[Labs-l] Run your web tools on Trusty

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 21:16:20 UTC 2014

Hello!

We've had trusty exec nodes for a while, and today we have a new
webgrid node running trusty as well. This means you can run your
webservices on trusty, taking advantage of new versions of software
(Python 3.4 mmm!)

To do so, you use the webservice2 program. This is an experimental
replacement for the webservice program already used to control web
services, and will replace it at some point in the future. It supports
almost all current features of webservice2 (start, stop, restart - no
status yet). An extra feature is the --release parameter, where you
can specify if you want to run on trusty or precise.

So to start a webservice on the trusty instance, you would just do:

webservice2 --release=trusty start

And that should do :)

Since we'll be adding more trusty nodes in the future as demand grows,
do test your web services (and bots!) to make sure they run well on
trusty. Also do take advantage of the newer versions - Python 3.4 is
great! :)

Thanks!

--
Yuvi Panda T