[Labs-l] speedydeletion.wikia.com

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Mon Nov 3 13:17:45 UTC 2014

On 11/03/2014 07:15 AM, Hasteur Wikipedia wrote:
> Second, since this is some sort of bot process, has it ever passed through BRFA as it appears to be using a non trivial amount of resources.

There are two points here:  (a) bots that do not /edit/ enwiki have
never required BRFA approval, so that is not a concern, but (b) the Tool
Labs TOU specifies that any tool must abide the policies of the projects
they interact with.  Is there an enwiki policy that forbids mirroring
tagged articles off-wiki?

Now, *personally*, I find the idea of doing this rather improper but
unless there are legal issues or this violates enwiki policy, it remains
within the scope of Labs.

I would advise Mike, however, to thread carefully: the enwiki speedy
deletion rules are there for a reason; and much of what ends up being
deleted are copyright violation, libel, and sometimes worse - and I'm
pretty sure that his bot effectively republishes it from a legal point
of view.

-- Marc