[Labs-l] Separate Icinga for Tool Labs

Alchimista alchimistawp at gmail.com
Fri May 30 19:12:54 UTC 2014

I've been thinking is something like this applied on SGE, a tool to monitor
when jobs are launched, how much time did it runned, mem and other relevant
data. When we've got a lot of scripts and many of them have a simple log
system, detecting that something is working wrong or not working at all is
quite painful. A basic output like xml or similar should be simple enough
to tool authors get some script and create a small-tiny-micro-nano monitor
tool adapted for they're needs.

> Yeah, that seems like a good idea. In general projects always have the
> option on setting up more specific tools inside of their own project if the
> general tool can't easily meet their needs.
>

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Yuvi Panda <yuvipanda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I know that we have some form of icinga for Labs in general, but it is
>> currently pretty dysfunctional and not very useful. Wondering if we
>> should setup a separate icinga just for toollabs that not just
>> provides general monitoring for admins, but also monitoring for
>> individual tools (in a way that's easily customizable by he tool
>> authors themselves). I wrote up a proposal for this a while ago
>> (https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yuvipanda/Icinga_for_tools).
>> I think this will help improve general reliability of all our tools
>> and infrastructure.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Yuvi Panda T