[Labs-l] Faster hard disks

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada emijrp at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:03:48 UTC 2014

Hello;

I'm processing Wikipedia dumps. For now, I'm copying some dumps into the
tool path (/data/project/tool/dumps) to preserve them for my study, because
only the last 2 dumps are in /public/dumps. And when I launch the jsub, the
script read them from there.

But I have a question, is /public/dumps faster than /data/project ? I mean
in r.pm. or any technical feature. Or all are the same?

By the way, when processing dumps, I have found that reading from a 7z dump
is faster than from a bz2, so I think that the hard disks are playing here
a important role, more than CPU.

Thanks