[Labs-l] New labs project: Wikidata Topicmap UI - Try it out

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Sun May 11 10:31:18 UTC 2014

On 5/7/14 5:20 PM, Malte Reißig wrote:
> Hi!
Hello!

Thanks for writing this explanation -- the demo looks great!  Labs is a
good place for this, I'm happy to create a project space for you.  What
would you like me to call it?  Wikidata-topicmaps?

> # Questions towards turning this into a Wikimedia Labs project
>
> 1. Is manual creation of a new/sperate user account an issue? What are
> the best alternatives (regarding very limited dev-resources)?
If you're speaking of account creation within your project, I think
that's fine.  You'll need to provide a disclaimer that explains what
will happen with any personal information (e.g. email addresses)
associated with those accounts, as per the terms of use here:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikitech:Labs_Terms_of_use#What_can_and_can.E2.80.99t_be_done_with_user_information.3F

> 2. Regarding the Wikimedia Labs "Terms of Use":
> 2.1 The tool is realized as a simple plugin [2] for DeepaMehta 4 [3] (a
> FOSS software platform for collaboration and information work).
> 2.2 We do not store any other "Private Information" except any of the
> data entered by the user, see details [4] below this mail.
Yep, that all sounds fine.

> 3. A Java-capable VM (with OSGi, Karaf, Jetty) with an Apache Webserver
> (with Reverse Proxy) set up as a "puppetmaster-self" would be needed.
That shouldn't be a problem -- the default project quotas will allow you
to create several Ubuntu VMs.  Other volunteers or I can help you with
puppetizing their configuration in order to keep things reproducible.

> # Process
> Looking forward to your feedback, we will meet at the 22nd of May in
> WM-Office Berlin for a dev-meeting related to this project and it would
> be classy if we could by then, present this as a wmflabs.org project.
No problem, just let me know what project name you would like and I'll
create it right away.  I'll also need to know your labs username (the
one you use to log into wikitech) in order to give you admin rights for
the new project.

-Andrew