[Labs-l] IMPORTANT: cron update

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Thu May 1 00:31:18 UTC 2014

Hello all.

Due to a (really) stupid mistake on my part, I have managed to
completely lose the crontab of any tool which had automatic changes
applied to it (the process which was supposed to make a backup before
any changes failed).  This affects approximately 50 tools.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the work and lost data this
might cause.

That said, if your tool existed before the migration to the new
datacenter, you probably still have the backup dating from that time in
your tool's home under the name ~/...DATA.crontab

On the other hand, most tools' crontabs /were/ correctly moved to the
new system.  There is a '/usr/local/bin/crontab' symlink now pointing to
xcrontab -- you should get that one by default unless you have changed
your default path.

If you get a message along the lines of:

You (user) are not allowed to use this program (/usr/bin/crontab)

then you are accidentally hitting the wrong one; check your path or type:

hash -r

To force your shell to revisit it.

Again, please accept my apologies for the disruption.

-- Marc