[Labs-l] Deploying files tools.wmflabs.org: this could be simpler, right?

Hay (Husky) huskyr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:26:51 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
i'm having a bit of a hard time deploying my files on tools. Maybe
some of you might be able to help. I've got nothing complicated, just
a git repo with some PHP files. I've got a shell name called 'hay' and
a tool account with the same name. When i developed some stuff on my
local machine my current route to deploy it is something like this:

1) rsync all of my files to my tools account
2) cp all of these files to /data/project/hay. Unfortunately this
doesn't work because of permission errors, so this means i've got to:
3) 'become hay'
4) rm -rf all the files in 'public_html' and 'lib' (a folder with some
common libraries).
5) Logout as 'hay'
6) cp all of the transferred files to /data/project/hay
7) 'become hay' again
8) Now i can 'take *' for all of these files
9) I've got some config files that i can't overwrite, so i copy these
by hand from the tool account to the correct directories.

And them i'm done. 9 steps seems like a lot just to deploy some PHP
files to a webserver. Obviously, there should be some easier way to
manage this, right?

-- Hay