[Labs-l] Impending change of DOOM!!1!one!

Marc A. Pelletier mpelletier at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 16 17:55:54 UTC 2013

That got you to read.  :-)

During this coming week, operations is going to be making a change in
how the labs environment allocate and names service groups
(specifically, they are going to be renamed from "local-foo" to
"projectname.foo" and made globally visible).  This change is necessary
in order to add new requested functionality and for some future
improvements we have on the roadmap.  We do not have a precise moment
for the change to be deployed yet, but we will notify the list and IRC
channel as soon as we know.

In practice, this will have no effect on projects not making use of
service groups/accounts (which, I believe, is most of them) and the
impact on those that do should be relatively minor.  System level tools
will be adapted to match (so that 'become', for instance, will keep
working), and since gid/uid will not be affected this means that
permissions will not require tweaking.  Additionally, credentials to
access the database replicas are also based on user and group ID and
will not be affected by a rename.

That said, if you have code that refers to service groups by name, they
will have to be adapted.  Also, it's not clear how gridengine will deal
with the renaming for running jobs.  (Experiments I did show that
continuous jobs will keep running but no longer be attached to the
renamed account requiring admin intervention to stop them).

I and Ryan, at least, will be on hand during and after the switch to
help work out any of the kinks that may turn up as a result of the
change.  While we expect that the impact is going to be mostly minor, do
keep an eye out for strange behaviour from tools or running code.

-- Marc