[Labs-l] Web access for labs instances

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 18:43:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Otto <otto at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Analytics needs this.  Hadoop (and other) services start a bunch of web interfaces on various ports (50070, 8088, 8888, etc. etc.).  We're currently using either instance-proxy with ports in the URL, or a manual custom haproxy instance on our one node with a public IP to get to these services.

So one of the things that is on the cards is to have path based
routing to various ports on the proxy itself. So you can say
metrics.wmflabs.org/hadoop-management go to instance1 port 50070 and
metrics.wmflabs.org/ go to instance1 port 80, etc. Waiting for this
roll out to complete before I get on that :D

Also, adding a new subdomain is completely free - you can just have
hadoopmanagement.wmflabs.org point to management interface, for
example.

So if you are running web services / http on arbitrary ports, you can
still easily use the proxy. It is only public non-http ports that are
a problem.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog