[Labs-l] List of packages that are supported by tool labs

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 12 18:33:14 UTC 2013

On 11/12/13 8:27 AM, Marc-André Pelletier wrote:
> On 11/12/2013 03:48 AM, Ryan Lane wrote:
>> If so, who's been running apt-get install manually on any of them? If
>> the instances were configured with puppet and nothing manual was ever
>> installed they should all look 100% the same.
> To a point; I've noticed some amount of drift over time as images get
> built, dependencies vary, and the exact list of package changes (puppet
> never removes unless asked explicitly).

It's no surprise to anyone who has shared a project with me that I'm a
big fan of frequent rebuilds of scratch instances.  If there's package
drift between exec nodes, then that suggests that we should periodically
kill aged nodes and rebuild fresh ones so that we always know what we've
got.  Other than being tedious to implement, are there downsides to this?