[Labs-l] List of packages that are supported by tool labs

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 15:46:46 UTC 2013

To be honest I think that whole current process of package requests is flawed.

There should be a clear overview of what is going on so that both
users and sysadmins know what is going on.

That mean: there should be a single place to request packages to be
installed (bugzilla) and no other places (emails, irc) so that we can
track the requests all on one place (people can request stuff on irc,
but bugzilla ticket should be made anyway) and there should be also
clearly pointed out if someone is working on certain request or not
(preferably being assigned to that bug) so that 2 or more people don't
work on same package addition.

The end result of whole process, should be insertion of requested
package to some (nonexisting) list of all packages that were requested
and were already installed and bug closed and eventually link to /
from that list.

So that it is as easy to figure out if package X and Y were already
requested and are "somewhere" in puppet or whatever else as opening
that list and having a look there if packages X and Y are present
there (and if not, request them on bugzilla)

This way it would be 100% clear of what is going on with package
requests, all nodes would be synchronized, requested packages would be
never lost or forgotten, and tool labs wouldn't be such a mess as they
are now, when half of exec nodes contain different packages than
others and there are many people (including me) who are confused about
what is installed or not (and unlike others I can verify that myself,
which put me in a better position than other labs users)