[Labs-l] Dumps project storage

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 20:27:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ryan Lane, 21/05/2013 19:41:
>
>> Hydriz told me in the past that the dumps project is just uploading the
>> dumps to archive.org <http://archive.org>. I'm confused as to why it's
>>
>> necessary to write them anywhere at all. They are accessible directly at
>> /public/data. Can they not be directly uploaded from that location?
>>
>> Is dumps being used for an additional purpose?
>>

> Yes, closely related to those, for instance Commons media (not progressing
> much lately). https://archive.org/details/**wikimediacommons<https://archive.org/details/wikimediacommons>
> Anyway, if it's a big deal we can just use my home PC as usual.

It's not that I'm opposed to it, but it's a massive waste of resources to
download from something in the network to a network fileserver, then to
upload it to archive.org.

Why is it necessary to write hundreds of GB to the fileserver before they
are uploaded?

- Ryan