[Labs-l] OpenStack upgrade Wednesday May 15th at 20:00 GMT

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Thu May 9 22:04:43 UTC 2013

We'll be upgrading OpenStack from the essex release to the folsom release
next Wednesday. There's a number of fixes/new features that'll come with
this release:

1. Faster response times for most actions (instance creation, reboots, get
console, etc)
2. API support for project quotas. We'll be able to expose current quotas
for projects and we'll be able to modify the quotas through wikitech
3. We'll be able to use Moniker <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Moniker>,
which will replace our current DNS code with something a lot more flexible
(and a lot less bug filled)
4. We'll be able to use some of the other OpenStack nova extensions that
Andrew has written.

During the upgrade it won't be possible to log into wikitech, and of course
it won't be possible to perform any OpenStack related operations.

I've tested the upgrade in Labs and also in our currently unused zone in
eqiad. I don't expect any instance downtime related to this upgrade.

- Ryan