[Labs-l] Slow steps ahead to merge bots and tools

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Thu Mar 14 14:23:04 UTC 2013

Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, no doubt, it's easier for you to build the cluster in separate
> project - but it will be far harder for bot operators to move all
> their tools and databases across project.

> I don't really see many problems with creating for example the
> structure you have in your project on separate instances in bots
> project and later, just switch the current execution nodes to another
> master server and slowly reschedule all running tasks to new execution
> nodes configured as you think it's best. That way all bot operators
> wouldn't even notice the difference! They wouldn't need to anything at
> all.

> Or if that would be too much work, why not just to change the
> configuration of current bots instances - I don't believe they are so
> broken as you think. Since we launched bnr boxes - nobody who was
> running anything there yet complained about any issues.

> [...]

I think the biggest difference (judging from
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Bots, I
don't have an account on Bots) is that Tools is tool-cen-
tric, i. e. tools do not run under their maintainers' ac-
counts, etc.  That migration will involve some fiddling with
paths, usernames and hosts anyway, so I think it's much eas-
ier if not one project (and its admins and developers) has
to accommodate both.

As the number of bots on Bots seems to be limited and time
is not an issue here, I think just waiting a few months is
preferable.

Tim