[Labs-l] open grid on bots

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 09:14:32 UTC 2013

okay, but you are probably missing sql server and reliable storage?

This indeed is kind of duplication, but at some point... the bots
project was created long time ago and I understand it a little bit
that you are overtaking the project we are currently running. I am
actually fine with your new project, and what I would prefer most
would be to merge both projects together somehow, but there are some
things I don't like on your project - the biggest problem I see right
now is that your project is too WMF based, while bots project is
completely community maintained. I understand that there may be some
benefits in restricting volunteers from access and being in sysadmin
role, but there are caveats as well. For example you are 1 guy, while
there are at least 4 active sysadmins in bots project who are
available even during weekends, when most of wmf staff is gone. The
whole "cluster" is designed just as we want it to be designed and not
as someone else believes it would be good for us.

Why is it so big deal to give out permissions to volunteers? I believe
that in the future most of bot operators will likely join your
project, not just because it will be preferred by WMF but also because
it will be likely better configured (no doubt you have far more
experiences with grid engine than most of us), but TBH I don't like
idea of hosting my bots on a same cluster as toolserver used to be,
the lack of sysadmins was one of biggest problems of toolserver - just
creation of account took ages and there was nearly no support at all -
that's what I am afraid your project is heading to. It will be
perfectly designed cluster maintained by 1 person.

What is current bus factor of tools-labs, huh?