[Labs-l] Tool Labs update and news, oh my!

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Mon Mar 4 17:24:49 UTC 2013

Greetings, programs!

This week's update will be brief, if optimistic:

On the news front, there have been performance and reliability issues
with Gluster than are being worked on by Ryan Lane. He is experimenting
with an upcoming network driver and tweaking with automount timing to
improve the situation.  Along with the database replication, the shared
storage is one of the key component of the infrastructure that are going
to receive the most attention in the short term.

There is now a new project (named, predictably enough, "tools") that is
the intended destination of the new architecture for the Tool Labs.  We
have a functionnal webservice environment, as well as a workable compute
cluster to support work and long running processes.  Already, a few
brave souls have stepped forward to test that new environment; others
are welcome to peek in or join the project with the usual "beta" caveats.

I'm not ready to open the gates entirely yet, since none of the
management is currently automatized (that's a big part of my TODO for
the week); but tools which have no dependencies on access to databases
should already be able to be experimentally moved to the new project.

This week, I plan to concentrate on the first draft of an interface
through which tool maintainers can manage their assets on the project,
and do a first documentation pass regarding how to write and/or move a
tool on the new project.

-- Marc