[Labs-l] Accessing the databases from labs - A comparison with the toolserver

Johannes Kroll johannes.kroll at wikimedia.de
Sat Jul 13 07:46:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:24:05 -0400
"Marc A. Pelletier" <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:

> On 07/12/2013 01:59 PM, Platonides wrote:
> > These connections are cached, so if I connected to fiwiki
> > and then to eowiki, the same db object would be returned.
>
> I don't think that any putative gain of performance or resources this
> would give is worth the added complexity;

You've obviously never tried to write a responsive web application.
Creating connections is one of the slower things happening on script
startup, especially when you need them for many different wikis. Caching
connections does make sense, as well as grouping by db cluster to reduce
the number of connections.

--
Johannes Kroll
Softwareentwickler

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | NEU: Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das