[Labs-l] Efficient way to deal with wiki spam on Labs

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 4 04:30:10 UTC 2013

We've been getting a lot of spam on our Labs test wikis (e.g.
http://toro.wmflabs.org/).  Does anyone have any thoughts on experience
on preventing this?

Options I am aware of:

1. Completely locking down account creation
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access#Restrict_account_creation)
and editing.  This probably won't work for us, since we often test the
flow for new users.

2. Some kind of IP whitelisting.  Not sure what the approach would be,
and this would probably be a pain since we're geographically dispersed.

3. Some kind of AbuseFilter/TitleBlacklist-based solution.  This seems
promising, and I'm wondering if some other Labs wiki has experience with it.

Matt Flaschen