[Labs-l] Visibility of tools

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Feb 20 15:36:48 UTC 2013

"Marc A. Pelletier" <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:

>> I think an important part of this would be to have a Wiki
>> where the mainspace is the tools' information and
>> description.

> Train of thought here; such a wiki would also be a natural
> home for community documentation (howtos, known bugs,
> libraries and toolkits used by the maintainers).

I don't think we need a separate wiki if you were proposing
this, and I second some of Harry's thoughts about traffic
sources.

What I would like to be required is at least one page for
every tool on Webtools (or Tool Labs or ...) with a list of
maintainers, a short description, and some basic information
on how to set it up, what parts need regular greasing, and
how to shut it down.  (NB: This doesn't need to be in Pup-
pet :-).)  It should be detailed enough so that an experi-
enced PHP/Python/Perl/Java/etc. developer can assume main-
tainership if the tool's bus factor was reached.

My gut says Webtools should be documented on labsconsole,
but I don't know if it should be beneath
Nova_Resource:Webtools or somewhere else.

Tim