[Labs-l] RFC: Webtools setup

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 21:14:33 UTC 2013

On 16/02/13 13:56, Giftpflanze wrote:
>> - Each tool has a directory under /data/project/web, owned
>>   by the user and the group, writable by the user and the group.  In
>>   it, the subdirectory "htdocs" contains the web stuff
>>   ("htdocs/cgi-bin" for CGI), the rest of the direc- tory (structure)
>>   can be used for private data (including bot credentials), log files
>>   & Co.
>
> Imho adding another layer of directory clutter (/web/) is a bad idea (I
> already wrote that on Nova Resource Talk:Webtools). As well as is
> /htdocs/cgi-bin/. It would be better to place all files into
> /data/project/TOOL (use subdirectories if you want to). That would also
> be the toolserver way (~USER/public_html respectively
> ~PROJECT/public_html), as a side note.

Well, the problem is that if you put tools there, you need user folders
somewhere else. We can't use /home because it fills too fast, so add a
user folder in /data/project (that's /data/project/user), which then
adds the indirection of using the web subfolder there.

/home is now using project storage, so the problems of a
not-to-be-touched home (which were present when written) should be gone
now, and we could use just /data/project and plain homes.

> Nova Resource:Webtools also proposes the public entry-point address to
> be http://web.wmflabs.org/TOOL. As I also said on the talk page, I would
> prefer tool(s).wmflabs.org. ;) Unfortunately, that went unnoticed. :(

Seems an equally good hostname (I'm not sure why I proposed web).