[Labs-l] [Wikitech-l] Maria DB

Mark Bergsma mark at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 14 16:14:31 UTC 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keeping debug symbols in binaries will result in poor performance, or it should

That's bollocks. It results in a larger binary _on disk_. The symbol table isn't even loaded into memory and doesn't affect performance.

Debug information is *highly useful* in a production setup, and we try to run all our core applications with it so we have a chance to debug issues when they occur.

I think the only reason distributions omit debug information is to save disk space.

--
Mark Bergsma <mark at wikimedia.org>
Lead Operations Architect