[Labs-l] Memcached issues on piramido

Silke Meyer silke.meyer at wikimedia.de
Tue Feb 5 12:05:22 UTC 2013

Hi!

I have seen the same error
Could not acquire 'testwiki:messages:en:status' lock
very often on my instances. Until now I haven't found a system in it
though. Sometimes restarting memcached helps, sometimes rebuilding the
Localisation cache helps, too, sometimes nothing helps...

> Granted, it might not be a good idea to allocate it all to memcached
> (not sure how smart it is about not filling the RAM).
>
> Do you recommend we decrease the amount memcached can use?  If so, where
> is the setting?

Yes. Right now, you can create labs instances that have only 1024 MB of
memory altogether. Shouldn't the memcached setting reflect this?

Matt, I think the setting we are talking about is in
operations/puppet/manifests/memcached.pp

class memcached ($memcached_size = '2000', $memcached_port = '11000',
$memcached_ip = '0.0.0.0', $version = "present", $memcached_options =
{}, $pin=false)

I suppose that line is writing it to /etc/memcached.conf.

Cheers,
Silke

--
Silke Meyer
Systemadministratorin und Projektassistenz Wikidata

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.