[Labs-l] CropTool and future possibilities

Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) smazeland at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 17 19:59:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<mflaschen at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 12/17/2013 10:11 AM, Daniel Schwen wrote:
>
>>     See also
>>     https://www.mediawiki.org/__wiki/Extension:__PronunciationRecording
>>
>>     <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PronunciationRecording> .
>>       That's planned to run on Wiktionary (and upload to Commons), so it
>>     probably won't use OAuth, but I agree it's great that OAuth is
>>     opening so many doors.
>>

>> This wouldn't even need an Extension. Some site JS would suffice.
>>

> True, though some of the supporting code does need an extension (WAV to
> Ogg Vorbis translation uses TimedMediaHandler).
>
> However, an extension allows for better i18n (it's already been translated
> in over a dozen languages on TranslateWiki.Net; see
> https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%
> 3AMessageGroupStats&group=ext-pronunciationrecording#sortable:3=desc).

Not totally true for several reasons:
1. Extensions can be harder to implement, as they require a lot of
MediaWiki specific knowledge. Just creating a tool in any language on Labs
can be pretty easy and OAuth allows for integration with the Wikimedia
wikis. This is mostly true for Wikimedia wikis. Having a MediaWiki
extension also allows third parties to benefit more easily.
2. There is a ready to use i18n library for Labs. It's called Intuition.
Documentation is at
https://github.com/Krinkle/TsIntuition/wiki/Documentation and Intuition
with 15 or so supported tools is being translated at translatewiki.net (
https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Intuition ). It currently is
only available for PHP as far as I know, but I could imagine that Krinkle
may change the message format to JSON, which would make it easier to also
support other programming languages more easily.

> It also provides more flexibility later.

It depends on what later is. The main issue that I have with tools at tool
labs and gadgets, is that they are not easily available for other consumers.

> Matt Flaschen

Cheers!

--
Siebrand Mazeland