[Labs-l] Projects marked for death

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 16 22:48:49 UTC 2013

On 12/16/13 4:39 PM, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> [...]

Ok, wait, now I'm really confused.  I have all these project
pages[1] which were automatically created by wikitech when
new projects were created.  And then there's the xtools
page[2]... it shows up as part of that symantic query but
the history implies that it was made by hand by user
JackPotte in such a way that it closely resembles a project
page but actually isn't.

>> What the heck?
>> [...]
> There were never guidelines on where to document individual
> tools, so I put the documentation on mine at
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Tools/dbreps
> and
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Tools/Tools/wikilint.
> I think that would work for xTools as well.
>
> Other (better? :-)) suggestions?
I think that the place you documented is fine, but 'There were never
guidelines' is a totally valid complaint -- I just now almost hired an
intern to think about that problem for me :)  If anyone wants to dream
up a scheme about how projects vs. tools should be tracked, owned and
documented, I'm happy to collaborate and/or implement.

Otherwise, I'll try to think this through in the next couple of weeks
and come up with some guidelines on my own.

-A