[Labs-l] Labs datacenter migration

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 9 15:26:32 UTC 2013

On 11/20/13 12:31 PM, Diederik van Liere wrote:
> Would it be hard and worthwhile to write a 'migration assessment'
> script that can be run on a labs instance and that would give you
> warnings if you have data in your home folder, puppet does not run
> properly, etc.
Inspired by Diederik's suggestion, I've added a new page to wikitech,
'My Resources':

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:NovaResources

That page will display a list of projects and instances that are
probably your personal responsibility.  Specifically, it lists projects
that you're an admin for, and instances that you created. It's a bit of
a work in progress but should display accurate info in the meantime.

- Are you an admin for a project that you never use or have never heard
of?  Then remove yourself, here:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:NovaProject.  If you're
about to remove yourself and you're the /last/ admin for a project,
please let me know!

- Do you see instances that you created but no one cares about anymore?
Then please delete them.

- Do you see a 'failed' or 'unknown'  puppet status for your instance?
If so, please resolve this problem or find me on IRC and ask me to resolve.

At the moment I'm reluctant to add email nags for puppet problems. If
there's clamor for that feature on-list then I'll reconsider.  It
shouldn't be especially hard to implement.

-Andrew