[Labs-l] Tool Labs: Summary of Feedback on the Draft for the Roadmap

Silke Meyer silke.meyer at wikimedia.de
Mon Apr 22 13:51:22 UTC 2013

Hi all!

Let me shortly summarize the comments on the roadmap's discussion pages:
There were no comments about the actual roadmap but feedback
concerning these two topics:

1) What's going to migrate and what isn't?
* Until now, it's not clear which tools will not be able to move. Or
which maintainers might decide not to move and why. People are curious
about this but tool maintainers would have to talk about it for us to
find out.

2) Bad Tool Labs experience:
* How fast is the account creation process right now? A tool
maintainer reported that he spontaneously had some time to think about
migrating. He requested an account but then waited for two weeks to
get it. For people working on tools in their spare time this is too
long.
* Documentation has to be improved! Good overviews are needed as well
as a detailed documentation of everything relevant to working in Tool
Labs.
* An example: You get strange messages and can't find any information
on them, e.g. this one: "Your user rights were changed by Andrew
Bogott. You are now a member of this group: shell. Learn more". By
clicking onto it, you get a list of permissions: "loginviashell".
There is a red link pointing to "Wikitech:Shell". The user is
confused.
* Who is responsible for documentation? (I'm not sure I answered this
correctly: It's not clear to me how much the Tool Labs docs overlap
with general Labs docs and who is responsible for that part. Or is the
Tool Labs documentation isolated from the rest???)

Cheers, Silke