[Labs-l] Wikimedia Labs Software Stack

Andreas Trawoeger atrawog at kartenwerkstatt.at
Thu Oct 4 11:13:03 UTC 2012

Hi everybody!

I'm currently running a project called opengeoser <http://opengeoserver.org>
ver.org <http://opengeoserver.org> that collects and redistributes freely
available Open Geodata (at the moment I'm at 1.3 TB of data) . The project
is currently receiving some funding from Wikimedia Germany and is a likely
candidate to be migrated to the Wikimedia Labs sometime in the near future.

But being a sysadmin that neither wants to replace his fine tuned XFS
storage with Gluster nor his Fabric [0] deployment scripts with Puppet
without a lot of testing. I would actually prefer to set up my own
OpenStack instance on my existing systems, test different configurations
options and then migrate the services to Wikimedia Labs.

It's easy to figure out that Wikimedia Labs is using Ubuntu, OpenStack &
Gluster, but I couldn't find any detailed information about what versions
are currently used and how the current hardware & storage configuration
actually looks like.

cu andreas

[0] http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.4.3/index.html