[Labs-l] google search for 'wikimedia labs' gives the wrong result

Ben Hartshorne bhartshorne at wikimedia.org
Tue May 1 22:21:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

We've collectively been referring to the labs project (
labsconsole.wikimedia.org) as Wikimedia Labs.  Sadly there was an older
project that shared the same name, and Google (and bing and yahoo) all
believe that 'Wikimedia Labs' is something different:
http://en.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.  If you go there, it clearly
says it's out of date, but it points you to
http://deployment.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page (also not
'wikimedia labs' but the wikipedia beta).

What can we do to make the google juice flow and send people looking for
wikimedia labs to the right place?  It's embarrassing that we're
advertising (talking about, giving presentations about, etc.) a thing to
people all over and making it hard for them to find the thing.

-ben