[Labs-l] ubuntu 12

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:12:35 UTC 2012

Fortunately none of packages I need right now for wikimedia project,
but it's a lot of packages I use as a developer, especially mozilla
development packages such as xulrunner or gecko development files,
which makes it pretty hard to compile anything what uses gecko as web
browser engine. The reason to deprecate these was that mozilla does
too frequent releases and it's hard for ubuntu maintainers to create
new versions. However, there is likely many more, as Antoine noted,
ubuntu was always meant as a simple linux for regular people who don't
understand linux, so it quite makes a point that they don't really
care about it being developer friendly. So even if I am not missing
anything for labs right now, it's very possible that ubuntu developers
will just decide to remove some other packages in future, just because
they don't need them for ubuntu, no matter if some other developers
would do (such as whole mono which ubuntu doesn't rely on). For this
reason it would be nice to keep support for other distribution which
is more reliable in this or at least keep support for distributions we
use right now, because it may just happen that when we upgrade to
newer ubuntu, some stuff will break.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-April/035026.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/125980/how-do-i-install-xulrunner-in-12-04