[Labs-l] Obtaining a public IP address

Harry Burt jarry1250 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 21:23:02 UTC 2012

Hey all.

You'll have to forgive me if this has come up before, but what is the
process for obtaining a public IP address for one's instance? I'm
afraid I have literally no expertise in this area whatsoever, so I
have no idea what's involved, and hence I thought it might be a good
idea to piece together what I've been told so far and lump it all into
this thread, rather than wonder on in blind ignorance:

* I would like to make my web instance (which hosts a test wiki)
publicly accessible
* To achieve this, I need to get a public IP address routed to it
* Wikimedia Labs has only a small number of IP addresses under its control
* Therefore it may not be possible to have my wiki publicly accessible

Is this a correct state of affairs? Is there any way of resoling this
issue? (A few people have suggested things already, but I'm afraid I
can't recall any of them.)

Many thanks,
Harry

--