[Labs-l] Problems when setting up an instance of Wikidata

Daniel Zahn dzahn at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 17 15:24:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Daniel Kinzler <daniel at brightbyte.de> wrote:

> * UNCLEAR: Which image (ubuntu version) should be used (when trying to be close
> to the live environment)? Why are the different versions there? And why is there
> both "oneric" and "oneiric"?

"oneric" is the correct spelling. "oneric" should just be a typo.
This is Uubuntu 11.10 aka. "Oneiric Ocelot" which is stable but NOT an
LTS (long-term support9 release.
In production we just use LTS versions, so that is currently still
"lucid" (10.4 Lucid Lynx), but "Precise Pangolin", the next LTS
release
is supposed to be released this month... -> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

> * MISSING: apparently, the security groups (firewall rule sets) for an instance
> can not be changed after it was created.

This requires the "netadmin" group membership in the project. Did the
same user who created them try to change them?

> * MISSING/UNCLEAR: We will want to create our own puppet scripts for setting up
> wikidata repos for testing, etc. Where do we need to submit them? How would we
> apply them to instances?

Please submit them to gerrit, to the operations/puppet _"test"_
branch. Stuff that is merged into the test branch in gerrit can then
be used on labs instances. Puppet classes are referred to as "puppet
groups" in the labs console wiki, that's where you can apply them to
instances. Brand new classes may have to be added by one of us to the
list of groups you can choose from.

> * BROKEN: We were unable to install a mysql server. Trying to apply db:core
> failed with an error.

Note that there are some concerns about having data in locally
installed mysql databases. That said, though, you _can_ use the
"MariaDB" classes as an alternative.
Daniel Zahn <dzahn at wikimedia.org>