[Labs-l] Added a new node to the compute cluster

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 00:10:20 UTC 2012

We've been running low on memory for a while now, waiting on the new
hardware to come in and be added to the cluster. Today I've finished
adding one of the new pieces of hardware into the cluster. virt5 has
185GB of RAM, but otherwise is similarly spec'd to the old hardware.

Even though this new node has a lot more RAM, once it has the same
number of instances as the other hosts, it'll stop being the preferred
node, since we are using a scheduler that schedules based on the
number of instances running on a node. Once all of the hardware has
been replaced by the new hardware, we'll be able to run a much larger
number of instances than we are currently able to. As of now we have
space for another 40 instances, or so.

If you notice any issues building instances, let me know.

- Ryan