[Labs-admin] In-place precise->trusty upgrade

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 24 18:18:04 UTC 2017

Attached is a list of the steps I used to upgrade tools-mail from
precise to trusty.  I'm still generally opposed to users doing this, so
I'm emailing rather than posting on a wiki :)

-A

# apt-get update

# apt-get install update-manager-core

# puppet agent --disable 'trusty upgrade in progress'

If necessary (mostly needed on tools exec/web nodes):

* edit /etc/fstab to remove 'noexec' from /tmp; unmount /tmp; mount /tmp

# do-release-upgrade -d -q
  (accept most defaults, except: YES to restart services without asking, accept new menu.lst, don't remove old packages)
  (when finished, type 'x to destroy' even though that sounds scary)

# puppet agent --enable

# puppet agent -tv

# apt-get update

# apt-get dist-upgrade

# puppet agent -tv

# reboot

# puppet agent -tv  (this does new, different things post-reboot)

# apt-get autoremove