[Labs-admin] Fwd: Re: Servers with GPUs

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 23 19:53:14 UTC 2017

On 2/23/17 1:48 PM, Bryan Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Andrew Bogott <abogott at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> On 2/23/17 12:30 PM, Yuvi Panda wrote:
>>
>> Do we have the human bandwidth to commit to doing this as a team? GPUs are fickle beasts.
>>
>> Noooo!  I'm not telling them 'we will do this' only 'this might be technically possible'
> This seems like a bad fit for Cloud. Providing co-location for
> specialty hardware for a specific project is a lot of burden for us
> and really doesn't give them any practice for eventual implementation
> in production.
Nova definitely /does/ support having different types of virt nodes, and
scheduling certain VMs on certain hardware.  So, having virtnode with
GPUs could just be an additional VM type offered by the cloud.

As to how those VMs actually /talk/ to the GPUs... in theory this is a
feature implemented in Nova but I haven't investigated it at all.