[Labs-admin] Quick note on gridengine and bindmounts

Chase Pettet cpettet at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 17 13:31:43 UTC 2016

I did my best to carry through the elimination of bind mounts for grid
operation yesterday.  Yuvi noticed a few straggling puppet disables later
on, and one of those (for whatever reason) had escaped my process and was a
valid grid node.  The rest I must have missed via clush -g all somehow?
I'm not sure.

A quick primer if you run into this.  A node where /var/lib/gridengine is
not a symlink, and /etc/fstab has a bind defined for /var/lib/gridengine is
not in an expected state.

To convert a bind mount (as root):

* exec-manage depool $fqdn (from bastion)
* bash /data/project/remove-var-lib-grid.sh
* usually easiest here to logout and back in post mount removal.
* bash /data/project/grid-convert-bind-to-link.sh
* puppet agent --test
* exec-manage depool $fqdn

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/321786/
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/322008/