[Foundation-l] Black market science

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 09:10:41 UTC 2011

2011/7/18 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>

> On 07/09/11 2:06 PM, Andrea Zanni wrote:
> > My point (working in an academic digital library and just seeing the
> > amount
> > of thesis, dissertation, articles passing by) is that if for people is a
> > difficult, overcomplicated burden to upload a PDF in an institutional
> > repository (5 minutes of their time, even less), how can we
> wikilibrarians
> > think that they will come to us and upload and "curate" their text? I
> > clearly remeber the "Screw it" feeling I had the day after I graduated,
> > meaning that I would not even touch my thesis again for the next months
> (and
> > so it was).
> >
> If 5 more minutes of an author's time is too much for uploading a thesis
> that he has worked in for months or years that's his problem. He could
> even pay someone to upload for him.  It suggests he doesn't have much
> faith in his own work.  It's not our job to hold his hand.

I agree that 5 minutes are an acceptable time:
what I wanted to say (probably my English is worse than what I think :-)
is that "curation" of a thesis on Wikisource doesn't take 5 minutes, but
even 5 hours.
5 hours and a lot of knowledge in Wikisource policies, mediawiki, templates
and so on.
I perfectly know that having your own thesis in wikitext on Wikisource is a
good thing,
but I don't honestly know if it is worth the labor.

Aubrey