[Foundation-l] The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug on Commons and on all Wikimedia projects

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 20 03:36:31 UTC 2011

On 20/12/11 12:50, Kim Bruning wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:35:24AM +1100, Tim Starling wrote:
>> On 13/12/11 01:36, Teofilo wrote:
>>> Let us stop asking users to individually tag every wrong picture! Let
>>> us have some developers create a tool to find wrong pictures and
>>> rotate them back to their original orientation!
>>
>> We could make a list of all images with EXIF rotation. I'm not sure
>> how you would separate that into correctly-rotated and
>> incorrectly-rotated images. There's not any simple way to tell whether
>> a picture is sideways.
>
> I wonder... if we run/simulate the old routine vs the new routine, and we notice that there
> is a difference in outcome between the two, we could add a "check me" template. <scratches
> head>

Every image with EXIF rotation will be different between the old and
the new version of MediaWiki. A Commons user (Umherirrender) already
generated a list of such images, using the Toolserver database, and
thousands of incorrect images were tagged for rotation.

The rate at which images were tagged was far in excess of the rate at
which RotateBot was able to rotate them, so Sam Reed did some work on
optimising it.

-- Tim Starling