[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikizh-l] About WM private policy

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 23:20:53 UTC 2010

Addressing the other half of this issue, "is creating a page = to editing", I'd argue that page creation is a subset of editing with a fundamental difference. Creating a page has different requirements (such as meeting mandatory inclusion requirements, like notability, or local project rules) that a simple copyedit or typo fix doesn't have. Furthermore, vandalism with page creation used to be much more annoying to deal with (although that's improved over time with certain tools and plugins).

So yes, I think in theory a page creation does "equal"  an edit, but having said that there are real-world reasons a community might wish to treat the two actions separate. It probably also doesn't help that our community uses a different connotation for edit than does the rest of the world (i.e. to save a revision of a MediaWiki page vs. make changes to an existing document.)

Happy holidays,

-Dan