[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:29:37 UTC 2009

Brian wrote:
> That is against the law. It violates Google's ToS.
>
> I'm mostly complaining that Google is being Very Evil. There is nothing we
> can do about it except complain to them. Which I don't know how to do - they
> apparently believe that the plain text versions of their books are akin to
> their intellectual property and are unwilling to give them away.

Where does it forbid them?
The most related part is section 5.
I understand that doing queries at bot rate may be against #5.3 but I
don't see anything against this.
Unlike searches, the book OCR result will be cached, so this shouldn't
be inconvenience them (and they don't place ads there!).

I'd wikify the html instead of just moving to plain text, though.