[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Mon Aug 4 16:46:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippebeaudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> Attempting to impose en.wikipedia's worldview on things like this is
> probably doomed to failure, in my opinion... it's almost the online
> version of pushing a colonialist agenda.
>
> Philippe

Also probably very harmful. Policy is not something that people should
have absent a need. Let policy grow organically based on the needs of
the users. You don't need to start people off with complex policy when
they don't need it. Polls are evil and other essays exist, and can be
referenced. No one starts a Wikipedia in a vacuum, and lessons learned
from one will flow to another. But we shouldn't expect all the lessons
learned on enwiki to be useful to everyone else.

Another way to think of this, Is there some problem that needs to be
solved by this? Are smaller wikis currently being hurt by not having
enough policy?

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion