[Foundation-l] Native American Tribes Policy

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:36:20 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Jeffrey V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:

> If they are not recognized, then how can they be verified as Indian
> Tribes?

Again, US recognition is one thing. The United States government recognition
is just one thing. And again, we're not a United States project. :) I had
actually posted once (when I edited) something to the effect of the census
citizenship of all the English speaking countries, out there. It was
telling. Either way, the US government is just one Reliable Source, not
entitled to any more undue weight than anyone else.

What if I setup a website claiming to be the
> president of Germany?

KingJeff.com is free, I think.

Can someone cite it in a wikipedia article since
> there is a we page to claim it?

Sure, if  1)  You as the subject is notable enough anyway; 2) enough sources
say that you're the president or chancellor of Germany. If I write on my
blog today that "Ben Affleck is Supreme High Chancellor of Krautland," it's
not notable for inclusion. But if the NY Times, Der Spiegel, the Washington
Post, CNN, etc., all pick up on it for some reason, and start saying that
Benifer I has taken the throne, sure: include it. Otherwise, treat it the
same as anything.

If lots of good RS say that there is a tribe of indians outside of
Pensacola, Florida, named the "Pensacolan Pequots" but they're clearly a
'fake tribe', they can have an article. And the equivalent V/RS that say
soon enough they're a fake tribe will bear out things fine. If the US
department of Indian Affairs actually tried to use Wikipedia as a source for
verifying their status... their stupidity is not our fault or liability.

--
Regards,
Joe