[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 20:48:57 UTC 2006

--- Gatto Nero <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Should we deny that sj said Taipei was chosen 'cause
> "in the end they
> had the most surplus sponsorship, in fact"?

The above makes me think of an uncomfortable question
or two.

Will any member of the jury be employed by Wikimania
2007?  Will any member of jury be in a position to
decide how sponsorship monies are spent (i.e. drafting
budgets or who receives scholarships)?

Now a positive answer to one of those questions does
change that Taipei was chosen in good faith.  The
people on the jury are some of the most experienced
Wikimania organizers here.  So it would be natural
they would be selected for the jury, and equally
natural that they will be heavily involved in
organizing Wikimania 2007.  However, I would certainly
like to see that future Wikimania juries are selected
with a negative answer to these questions in mind.
Any possible perception of corruption should be
avoided at all costs.

Birgitte SB