[Foundation-l] RfC: Key priorities for my work

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 13:05:04 UTC 2006

On 24/09/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Make the press aware that there's more to Wikimedia than Wikipedia.

Lots of luck on this one. I find it hard enough when talking to
non-English-speaking journalists to get across to them that there's a
Wikipedia in their language and it's not all in English ...

> Make sure committees aren't going astray.

Process should follow fairly obviously from basic policy/principles or
it's too hard to follow. Committees are process on top of the core
policies. Process needs to be reasonably obvious (or at least easily
derived).

> In conjunction with the chapter's committee, make sure every chapter
> is allowed official recognition and have a clear process for obtaining
> that (Wikimedia UK is still denied this recognition).

That's because we're not a charity as yet - Wiki Educational Resources
Limited is still legally a private company run by Alison, James, Jon,
Andrew and me, and that's not really a suitable vehicle for the
"Wikimedia UK" brandname.

*twiddles fingers waiting for Charity Commissioner*

> Ensure the tech committee have the authority to buy necessary hardware.
> Ensure all Board members have full access to private wikis and mailing
> lists when needed (this isn't the same as expecting them to follow all
> of those lists).

This shouldn't require new rules - a simple "wtf" should be adequate
when carefully applied.

- d.