[Foundation-l] Quo vadis, WMF?

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:44:13 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:
<snip>
> I appreciate you ask questions Cimon.
> But, please, please, please, could you make your english a little bit
> more accessible for non natives ?

More accessible for natives, too... :)

I'll summarise/translate (apologies to Cimon if I mangle it):

There was a lot of worry in the Old Days about what would happen if the
Foundation was forced to shut down because of legal action. It was
thought that the content and community would just be able to move
somewhere else and restart, and things would carry on almost like normal.

Recently, people have become unsure that we could do this anymore, due
to the large number of changes regarding the involvement of the
Foundation with the projects.

For one thing it has become less likely that the Foundation would be
shut down due to better legal defences, which is good. However we need
to ask if this is a certainty or not, and decide if being able to
relocate easily is still important.

Also, due to the changes that are happening, it is becoming harder for
us to relocate; we need to make sure that we can fill in these gaps if
we did have to restart.

So: do we concentrate on making the Foundation immune, and ignore the
possibility of having to relocate, or do we make sure that everything
the Foundation does will be portable?

Or doesn't it matter?