[Foundation-l] Wikimedia main office

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 13:36:37 UTC 2006

--- Robin Shannon <robin.shannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this the first time a CEO has been proposed? what on earth would be
> the point of having one? I ask if this is the first time it has been
> asked because i would like to see any wikipages or archeived email
> threads to see what the arguments are for having one.

We have been talking about this for at least a couple years; the last time we did so publicly was
just mentioned and linked to by Erik. The reason why this is necessary is due to the fact that we
long ago reached the limit on what volunteers alone can accomplish. We have therefore been missing
out on many different potential opportunities (for getting grants, very large donations and to
reach our ultimate goals) simply because we have not had proper staffing. And a staff needs a
person to manage them and the daily aspects of running the organization. Simply put, we are
transitioning from the amateur football club model to a professional organization. Staff are an
investment.

-- mav