[Foundation-l] Serbia and Montenegro

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed May 24 11:01:37 UTC 2006

Some random musings:

It seems to me that supporting the creation a single chapter for these
independent countries and cultures, solely on the basis of them having once been
part of a single state, might be considered offensive to the people involved.
No  one is proposing that Austria and Hungary merge their potential chapters,
nor is  anyone suggesting that the UK, Canada, and Australia set up a single
chapter,  though the cultural differences there may be even less distinct and
they still  share a single crown, language, etc.

If Yugoslavia was a fiction that the constituent peoples rejected, let's
respect that, rather than suggesting that they "join together" again, for the
purposes of Wikimedia. I am sure that differing legal and tax requirements in
each country would support such a distinction. As for bringing the peoples of
different countries involved in Wikimedia together, that would be the  role of
the Foundation umbrella. Right now, I think the Chapters Committee  is doing
an excellent job at that.

Danny